Keto Approved Shopping List
Are you just getting started? It can be a little overwhelming to think about what you need to have on hand when you first decide to go keto! However, having the ingredients and products available and on hand during the first few days is CRITICAL to you being able to start and stay on a keto diet. Keep in mind that all food needs to stay as unprocessed as possible. You really want to stay as CLOSE as possible, that being said if you have to eat regular and not grass-fed meat, that’s ok, don’t let it stop you from starting.
Meat, Eggs, and Seafood
Look for Grass-Fed Meats and choose organic if at all possible. All meats need to be prepared without breading, or flour. You will choose grilled, sauteed in approved oils, broiled, baked.
- Fish and Seafood
- Bacon (see below about processed meats)
- Lunchmeat and processed meat: Look for nitrite-free lunchmeats. Be careful of added sugars in prepared lunchmeat. Watch for Dextrose in things like pepperoni. Dextrose can be used in the curing process, and some people might be sensitive to Dextrose (sugar derived from corn)
Oils and Fats
- All Green Leafy Veggies (lettuce, kale, broccoli, spinach, green onion, brussel sprouts, bok choi, cabbage, asparagus)
- Egg Plant
- Spaghetti Squash
- Berries, including blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Watch QUANTITY with these. Carb count can add up quick. Stick to about 1/4 cup of berries per serving
- Cheese (all kinds). Avoid processed foods, including shredded cheese that has added potato starch or carrageenan. Check your labels!
- Heavy cream (again check your labels and avoid products with Carageenan.
- Sour Cream (full fat only, and stick with brands without added carageenan.
- Full-fat yogurt (in very small quantities)
- Cream cheese
Nuts & Seeds
- Macadamia Nuts
- Almond Butter
- Sunflower seeds
- Sunflower butter
- Peanuts (this is slightly controversial because Peanuts are a legume and cause issues for some people)
- Peanut Butter
- Pumpkin seeds
- Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Coconut Cream
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Almond milk- Unsweetened
- Himalayan Sea Salt
- Shirataki Pasta and Rice
- Herbs and Spices
- Tomato puree
- Arrowroot Flour (for thickening sauces)
- LILY’S Chocolate
Flours and Baking Ingredients
- Herbal Teas
- Unsweetened Carbonated Water
Please always check with your doctor about any medical concerns or questions about your own personal diet. These reccomendations are based on personal experience and what we have found works best for us!